Monday 8 December 2014

YOUTH AGAINST EXTREMISM- Siobhan's Story

I am Vassilina Vassou - trainee at Unesco Youth Club of Thessaloniki and I would like to present you the short stories two partishipants narrated me about two incidents of extremism they experienced.

Siobhan - London

" Two weeks ago in London we were walking home with my friend when we were attacked my two white extremist and racist guys. Initially, we noticed a car which was passing us driving to the opposite direction on the road. The two white guys in the car stared at us and suddenly they pulled the car over just next to us. They came out of the car starting shouting at my mixed colour friend, insulting him and screaming "We f*** hate niggas".

One of the guys went back to the car and took a knife so as to threaten us. I went in front of my friend so as to prevent them from hurting him but they managed to side me over and scratched my friend's face with the knife. I was calling for help, the neighbours got out in the windows but nobody was willing to interfere in such a dangerous incident."

"I strongly believe", said Siobhan that "They surely had no knowledge or education from neither their parents or society on how to deal with people who are different from us. We all deserve the equality. Apparently, they did not know what equality was, judging from their reaction.I think that these people should get a training of 10 or 20 or even more hours to learn about differencies and equality and stop reacting like this."

"Concerning my feelings at this time, I have to admit that I was so scared at first that I was shaking for some moments cause I was sure we both gonna die if they had a gun. Afterwards, I was and I am really sad about this incident because they really had no reason to be that racist against my friend. I felt really angry at them. It was just a horrible experience and for sure really extremist".

"It is widely known that the rates of extremism in UK have decreased a lot compared to the past. However, this does not mean that there are no racists who attack and battle against differencies in the society".

She also mentioned that " It was the first time for my friend of being attacked by racists. He was not as upset as I was and he thought everything happens for a reason."

Reported by Vassilina Vassou

No comments:

Post a Comment