Monday 8 December 2014

YOUTH AGAINST EXTREMISM- Polly's Story

Polly's story:

"I am Polly and I live in Hungary. When I was in the kindergarden I had some racist attacks from my classmates. They were asking me why my skin was darker than theirs or if I was just dirty. They even asked me if I was sick. They thought that we -the gypsies- are loud and angry people without having a knowledge about this. They just said so. It is a truth that we might have some different cultures or that we wear colourful dresses but this does not mean that we are not like other humans."

Concerning her reaction to these comments, she says that " I was always crying a lot and seeking for my mother's support. It was really sad for a small child to be treated like this. I could not say anything to protect myself."

However, she admits that "Now the situation is completely different. I have plenty of friends who do not care that I am a gypsy."

"Finally, I would like to point out that childrens reactions at kindergarden were a result of their parents beliefs against gypsies and the education they received within the family."

Reported by Vassilina Vassou

No comments:

Post a Comment